[R] building the development version

Prof Brian D Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 18 19:08:32 CET 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, A.J. Rossini wrote:

> Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Deborah Swayne wrote:
> >
> >> I'm trying to build the current development version of R on an SGI
> >> running IRIX6.5.  Everything proceeds merrily until I reach the eda
> >> package.  This is the error message I get if I cd to the appropriate
> >> directory and type 'make' or 'make all.'  Does this make sense to
> >> anyone?  -- Thanks, Debby
> >
> > There should be no such directory.  Did you do this in a clean build
> > directory, as this is what would happen if you try to rebuild over
> > sources from a couple of months ago?  Please try again starting in an
> > empty build directory.
>
> This directory exists on a clean anonCVS checkout, cvs co, followed
> with a cvs update -Pd.  Done AFTER Debbie's post, on a new machine.

Looks like there is a problem with anonCVS.  That directory is empty
in the master CVS tree and hence does not appear in the daily snapshots.
I've just checked: it is not there in R-devel_2004-02-18.tar.bz2.

What is in it under anonCVS?

> I verified Debbie's results, and the solution I suggested (2
> incantations, with a weird incantation and the removal of the eda
> subdir) got me most of the way there.  The second incantation was
> needed to cope with a problem in the ctest directory.

Looks like we need to take some preventative measures in any case ....

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk