[R] R Included with Open Infrastructure for Outcomes (OIO) system

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Mon Feb 16 21:44:20 CET 2004

Marc Schwartz <MSchwartz at medanalytics.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I came across this article on LinuxMedNews (http://www.linuxmednews.com)
> this morning:
>
> http://www.linuxmednews.com/linuxmednews/1076524250/index_html
>
> This refers to an integrated data management and analysis system (OIO),
> which includes R and utilizes the RSessionDA package (Greg Warnes).
>
> More information is available here for those interested:
>
> http://zope.org/Members/aho/Open_Infrastructure_for_Outcomes/LiveOIO/liveoio/LiveOIO_1_0_8
>
> There is one statement pertaining to R on the above page that I might
> challenge:
>
> "Unfortunately, it is a bit intimidating to use except by expert
> statisticians."
>
> If I can use it, anybody can...

Consider the application area of OIO, though, which is the collection
of CRF's (patient-based case report forms for hospital as well as
possibly clinical-trials related activities).  This is a fair caution,
I think, for that general population of researchers and hospital IT
folks (and clinician/IT types).

Issues include use of R as well as application of medium to advanced
statistical methods.

On the other hand, it's a nice approach, and one which we are working
on to leverage for similar projects.

best,
-tony

--
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}