[R] R Included with Open Infrastructure for Outcomes (OIO) system

Patrick Burns pburns at pburns.seanet.com
Mon Feb 16 16:09:27 CET 2004

Marc Schwartz wrote:

>[snip]
>

>There is one statement pertaining to R on the above page that I might
>challenge:
>
>"Unfortunately, it is a bit intimidating to use except by expert
>statisticians."
>
>If I can use it, anybody can...
>
>;-)
>
>Regards,
>
>Marc Schwartz

I think this perception is our biggest challenge in spreading R.
 Spreadsheets and
word processors also were thought to be intimidating.  Indeed if we
needed to
know all of what R does to use it, then anyone would be more than a bit
intimidated, I'm sure.

There are two counter-attacks that I see:

1)  Make it clear that you can do useful work in R without knowing
everything.
This can be facilitated by clear instructions on how to do some
(subject-specific)
tasks.  The clarity of the instructions can be called into question, but an
example of what I have in mind is:
http://www.burns-stat.com/pages/Techan/r_for_tac.html

2)  Highlight what is central, and make that as simple and intuitive as
possible.
I think the new division into a small "base" is a good step in that
direction.

Patrick Burns

Burns Statistics
patrick at burns-stat.com