[R] graphics

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Fri Dec 31 09:04:24 CET 2004

Fred Hattermann wrote:

> Dear R-user,
> I am a R beginner, and therefore my questions are very basic.
> I have a simple problem: I would like to plot 100 time series each
> containing 55 steps. The data are stored in a matrix of 100 columns and
> 55 rows. The first problem is to load the data from a file: I tried the
> read.table(), the scan() and the matrix(scan()) options, but I have
> problems to allocate the single columns. The list() option could be a
> solution, but it is very unconvenient: list(0,0,0......).
> And how do I plot a single time series, let's say the 50s? And how to
> plot all of them?

These questions are really basic, they are covered in the manuals and
any good book about R. Please read at least
a) the manual "An Introduction to R"
b) the manual "R Data Import/Export"
c) the posting guide (see below, has been appended at the end of your
message)

After you have read through and tried to solve your problem again, you
might want to come up with a specific question again.

> The last problem is maybe more advanced: I would like to plot all 100
> time series, but with a confidence interval, where the density of data
> is indicated by the density of the colour of the confidence interval. A
> colleague gave me the tip that this is possible in R2.0 and described in
> the newest newsletter ...

This question is also unspecific. Which kind of confidence interval?
What does "density of data" mean here? Do you mean a global quantity for
the whole series or really the empirical (estimated) density so that
color changes from point to point?

Uwe Ligges