[R] SAS or R software

Sun Dec 19 06:44:56 CET 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 20:54 -0600, Shawn Way wrote:
> I've seen multiple comments about MS Excel's precision and accuracy.
> Can you please point me in the right direction in locating information
> about these?
>
> Thank you very much,

There was an exchange on this last year and I posted some links to
articles and web sites that have further information. The post in
question is:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2003-June/033094.html

In that same thread, issues were also raised regarding the rounding of
numbers and Excel's implementation of the IEEE 754 standard. There was a
comparison between Excel, Gnumeric and OO.org's Calc with respect to
this issue and I posted some results of that comparison here:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2003-June/033364.html

The above post provided some further insight into why Excel and
unfortunately, Calc, behave the way that they do with numbers "close to
zero". As far as I know, the same behavior is still in place today with
the current versions of each application.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz