[R] R does not support UTF-8 (was german umlaut problem under MacOS)

joerg van den hoff j.van_den_hoff at fz-rossendorf.de
Wed Dec 15 18:13:35 CET 2004

Brian D Ripley wrote:
> You wrote your mail in UTF-8.  R does not support UTF-8, and that is both
> documented and announced on startup in such a locale (at least on OSes
> with standard-conforming implementations):

thanks for clarifying this point.

nevertheless:

1. the mail was (on purpose) sent in utf-8 to transport correctly the
output from the R command window (i.e. the GUI provided with the macOS
port). it is _this_ GUI (sorry for not explaining this correctly in the
first place) where the problem occurs. I'm not using (knowingly at
least) utf-8.
when starting the same binary from the command line in a terminal (where
I generally use ISO Latin 1 encoding) it is perfectly possible to get
the special characters into variables and into plots.

2. the OS is macos 10.3, i.e. essentially FreeBSD derivative and
hopefully conforms to the standardsbu  R on startup in the GUI gives only:
========cut=============

R : Copyright 2004, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Version 2.0.1  (2004-11-15), ISBN 3-900051-07-0

'help.start()' for a HTML browser interface to help.
Type 'q()' to quit R.

========cut=============
i.e. no announcement whatsoever concerning missing utf-8 support,
despite the fact that following input is interpreted in such a way.

so, probably this is more a question to the maintainers of the macOS
port:_where_ did R (when startet with the GUI) get the notion that it
should interpret keyboard input as utf-8?  can I change this (it's not
in the preferences, for instance)?

> gannet% env LANG=en_GB.utf8 R
>
> R : Copyright 2004, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
> Version 2.0.1  (2004-11-15), ISBN 3-900051-07-0
> WARNING: UTF-8 locales are not currently supported
>
> Solution: do not use an unsupported locale.
>

> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, joerg van den hoff wrote:
>

>>I did not find this in the archive (hope it isn't there...):
>>
>>the current release of R (2.0.1) for MacOS (10.3.6) seems not to handle
>>german special characters like 'ü' correctly:
>

> I get two characters (Atilde quarter) here.
>

>> > f <- 'ü'
>>
>>can be entered at the prompt, but echoing the variable yields
>

> You mean printing the contents, I presume.
yes ("shell speak").