[R] HTML help index generation problem with R under Windows

Sergei Zuyev sergei at stams.strath.ac.uk
Mon Dec 13 17:59:58 CET 2004

On ПонеделÑ?ник 13 Ð"екабÑÑ? 2004 14:29, you wrote:

> > Thanks, Uwe, for your response!
> > a) I'll try to convince our IT people to upgrade, but they are reluctant
> > to do that often. I must confess, I undestand them - so many times I had
> > to re-compile and re-install packages after R-upgrades... This indeed
> > might create a havoc for other users in the middle of the teaching term.
>
> So time to convince the IT people that you get write access to the R
> directory. Just tell them you are volunteering to maintain the
> department's R installation.

OK, this might work for myself, but what about students? As I understand every
USER of my library will have the same problem, so everyone should have a
write access to R installation. If this is so, no sysadmin will ever subscibe
to that...

> > b) This indeed opens an html help but does not fix the problem - my
> > package is not showing up in the help. This could be expected since the
> > index file is unchanged from its canonical state.
> >
> > Any more ideas, please?
>
> Well, if you need to update the index, you have to install R into a
> directory you have got write access to, either network or local drive....

But under UNIX/Linux the index is owned by the user, so no such problem
arises. Why not in Windows?

Cheers,
Sergei

                           Dr. Sergei ZUYEV
Statistics and Modelling Science dept., University of Strathclyde
    Livingston Tower, 26 Richmond str., Glasgow, G1 1XH, U.K.
     Tel.: +44 (0)141 548 3663    Fax:  +44 (0)141 552 2079
E-mail: sergei at stams.strath.ac.uk   http://www.stams.strath.ac.uk