[R] Partial Least Squares

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Sat Aug 21 04:21:40 CEST 2004

> From: Spencer Graves
>
>       Did you "read the posting guide!
> http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html"?  In particular, did you
> try www.r-project.org -> search -> "R site search" for "partial least
> squares"?  I just got 65 hits for "partial least squares".  Some were
> not relevant, but many were.  I also got 9 hits for "nipals", all of
> which seemed relevant.
>
>       Also, have you considered "sem" (structural equation
> modeling)?
>  From what I've heard, partial least squares started out as a
> solution
> without a clear problem statement, i.e., an algorithm
> claiming to solve
> a problem but without a clear statement of a probability
> model for which
> their algorithm produced the (approximate) maximum likelihood or
> Bayesian posterior mode.  Structural equation modeling, by contrast,
> provides the model and problem statement that partial least squares
> seems to try to solve.  I got this impression from reading the PLS
> article in the Encyclopedia of Statistical Sciences.

AFAIU the problem statement for PLS is not that different than that of
canonical correlations.  In fact some had criticized PLS as re-invention of
the canonical correlations.  It can also be seen as a regularized (thus
biased) regression fitting method.

As has been pointed out, the pls.pcr package on CRAN offers PLS (both De
Jong's SIMPLS and the `kernel PLS' algorithms).  There's also the gpls
package that combines PLS and the IWLS iterations in glm.

Best,
Andy