[R] do not reply for a new topic!!!

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 20 15:52:27 CEST 2004

Hi Kevin,
 {and R-help readers:  Kevin's (privatae) question is a quite
  relevant one to this sidetrack topic of "mailing list netiquette"}

    Kevin> Just out of interest, what about those posts with (no
    Kevin> subject) as the subject?  Sometimes I would change
    Kevin> the subject so it fits the body...is it recommended?

yes, I'd recommend it --- IFF --- your e-mail system is good
enough to set / augment the (usually invisible) headers
"References:" and "In-Reply-To:".

AFAIK, by official standards, these are used for threading
(if available) rather than the subjects.

Martin