[R] Fedora 1 RPM Packages

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 29 08:35:47 CEST 2004

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Ian Wallace wrote:

> That makes sense since most people will build with the defaults and
> that's what we'd like packages for the main stream.
>
> I'm already working around it ... but thought I would mention that some
> of us do like the shared library.  I hadn't even given any thought
> though to the memory foot print and assumed it would be roughly the
> same, I never checked though.

It would be nice if R used its shared library itself, as it does on
Windows.  However,

- on some platforms we cannot build the shared library at all (since some
of the crucial system routines, usually the Fortran run time, are not
PIC, or BLAS and other libraries are not shared).

- on some platforms there is an appreciable performance hit (I have seen
reports of 5-10%).

We don't have the resources to build and check different versions of R for
different platforms.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk