[R] standard library?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Apr 26 23:34:43 CEST 2004

Randy Zelick <zelickr at pdx.edu> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I found a package I want to try listed at
>
>       http://www.maths.lth.se/help/R/.R/doc/html/packages.html
>
> I am using R 1.9.0 on winXP.
>
> The package is called R.audio
>
> When I tried the example, it did not work and produced the error message:
>
>       Error: Object "Sound" not found
>
> Normally I would assume that I have to download a package and I would go
> looking for it... except I found R.audio in a documentation directory
> called "Packages in the standard library"
>
> It *seems* like what I want ought to be available by default, since to me
> the idea behind a "standard library" is that it is the stuff you get
> *without* shopping around.
>
> Nevertheless, I looked on CRAN for a "standard library" and did not find a
> reference to it. I also did not find a reference to R.audio there.
>
> Of course I am missing something obvious! What would that be?

Every *installation* of R has a "standard library". If you
install packages that's where they go by default. Some multi-user
installations make their help pages available on the net. The
installation at the Technical University at Lund contains something
called R.audio. Since this appears not to be something from CRAN, it
might be a good idea to follow the link in the Author field (to
Henrik's R.classes bundle).