[R] RODBC installation in debian

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Apr 22 15:46:37 CEST 2004

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 01:23:50AM -0700, Mahbub Latif wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I am trying to install RODBC package in a debian linux
> box but getting the following message. Can anyone help
> me to find what I am doing wrong here:
>
> $ R CMD INSTALL RODBC_1.0-4.tar.gz

Well, you could use

	$ apt-get install r-cran-rodbc

instead.

Other than that, the error below seems to indicate that you did not install
the development package for the odbc headers, i.e. unixodbc-dev.

Hth, Dirk

> ###
> * Installing *source* package 'RODBC' ...
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for C compiler default output... a.out
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler...
> yes
> checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
> checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none
> needed
> checking for library containing SQLTables... no
> configure: error: "no ODBC driver manager found"
> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RODBC'
> ** Removing '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/RODBC'
>

> R > version
> platform i686-pc-linux-gnu
> arch     i686
> os       linux-gnu
> system   i686, linux-gnu
> status
> major    1
> minor    9.0
> year     2004
> month    04
> day      12
> language R
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mahbub.

The relationship between the computed price and reality is as yet unknown.
                                             -- From the pac(8) manual page