[R] Error with 1.9.0 - Invalid HOMEDRIVE

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 21 11:21:36 CEST 2004

Thanks for the clarification.  We have several machines which have all the
critical updates on (and one XP machine with *all* the updates) and both
1.8.1 and 1.9.0 work properly on all the machines I tested this morning.
So there is some additional factor.

If anyone who has the problem knows which critical update caused it (David
Scott), it might help others with the problem.

It might be worth trying setting the environment variable R_USER or HOME
(which I have set, but I have also tested after unsetting it).

For the record, it looks like the C entry point getenv() has been broken,
and since 1.9.0 introduced a length check on the result of getenv it
terminates `cleanly' whereas 1.8.1 segfaults.  Or possibly the setting of
environment variables (HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH) has been broken, which
would amount to the same thing.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk