[R] Error with 1.9.0 - Invalid HOMEDRIVE

Brett Melbourne bamelbourne at ucdavis.edu
Wed Apr 21 10:56:58 CEST 2004

Hi Brian,

R1.9.0 fails with the message  "Fatal error: Invalid HOMEDRIVE" and no
prompt to send an error report to Microsoft.

R1.8.1 fails with the message "R for Windows GUI front-end has encountered a
problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience", included
in a prompt to send an error report to Microsoft.

For both versions, R fails to start at all. I'm running Windows XP Pro, and
like David Scott I'm supposed to install the XP critical updates as soon as
they come out, which I did last week.

I suppose, given the other reports of this behaviour, the subject line
should be "R fails after installing Windows XP updates".

Cheers
Brett