[R] Specifying RHOME

Anar Khan akhan at cs.otago.ac.nz
Tue Apr 13 04:50:35 CEST 2004

Hi,

I am having trouble installing R-1.8.1 on my Fedora 1 machine.  R is
already installed in /usr/local on our network, but I wish to be able to
work on my own copy.  So I installed it locally using:

./configure --prefix=/scratch/akhan/R-1.8.1
make
make install

The installation looks fine according to 'make check'.

But when I run R I get:
Fatal error: unable to open the base package

When I echo RHOME using 'R RHOME' I get:
/usr/local/lib/R

I then tried setting $R_HOME to /scratch/akhan/R-1.8.1, and adding this
dir to PATH in my .tcshrc file.  Echoing RHOME gives the same response as
before:
WARNING: ignoring environment value of R_HOME
/usr/local/lib/R

The 2 copies of R are obviously causing confusion - is there any way of
manually overriding RHOME so that I can run R locally?

Thanks,

Anar