[R] Downloading LME4?

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Mon Sep 29 15:47:22 CEST 2003

Harold Doran wrote:

> Dear R:
>
> Am I having trouble downloading the LME4 library. I am using Windows and am using ver 1.7 I have tried the following:
>
> 1) Install package from CRAN, but LME4 is not listed

 From http://cran.us.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.7/ReadMe:
"Some new packages are already prepared for R-1.8.x and do no longer
pass Rcmd check. The last working versions of these packages can be
found in subdirectory ./last"

And indeed, you will find a file
http://cran.us.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.7/last/lme4_0.3-6.zip

> 2) Downloaded LME4 from http://cran.us.r-project.org/, however, I cannot open the file when I try install from local drive. I get the following error:
>
> Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
> In addition: Warning messages:
> 1: error 1 in extracting from zip file
> 2: cannot open file `lme4_0.3-7.tar.gz/DESCRIPTION'

You have downloaded the source version of the package, not the binary
version for Windows. You have to compile source packages before using
them...

Uwe Ligges