[R] Downloading LME4?

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Mon Sep 29 15:33:09 CEST 2003

"Harold Doran" <hdoran at nasdc.org> writes:

> Am I having trouble downloading the LME4 library. I am using Windows
> and am using ver 1.7 I have tried the following:
>
> 1) Install package from CRAN, but LME4 is not listed

There is no precompiled version of lme4 for Windows because the last
version I uploaded caused an error under R-1.7.1.  I used a function
that will be available in R-1.8.0 but not in R-1.7.1

I have another version that does install successfully under R-1.7.1
but does not install under R-1.8.0 (beta).  I'm going to try to
isolate the problem later today.  Even if I am not successful in
getting it to load under 1.8.0 I will upload it for 1.7.1 and work on
the 1.8.0 problem before the release of 1.8.0.

Short reply: There should be a Windows version on CRAN within 3
days.

> 2) Downloaded LME4 from http://cran.us.r-project.org/, however, I cannot open the file when I try install from local drive. I get the following error:
>
> Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
> In addition: Warning messages:
> 1: error 1 in extracting from zip file
> 2: cannot open file `lme4_0.3-7.tar.gz/DESCRIPTION'

It looks like you were trying to load the source package as if it was
a binary package.