[R] Using POSIX?t rather than "chron" or "date"

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Sep 17 09:03:42 CEST 2003

    BDR> On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:
    >> Is the date class standard enough to warrant including a
    >> check for it in lattice ?

    BDR> I don't think so.  The POSIX*t classes in R are the
    BDR> most standard, followed by the chron package and only
    BDR> then the date package.

Definitely.  And I think we should encourage people to
upgrade to POSIX.t from "chron" (let alone "date") more
strongly {Note that there have been  as.POSIXct() methods for
these classes since the beginning of the POSIX.t classes.

Could "chron" and "date" users be heard about what
functionality they are missing in POSIX.t ?

On the other hand, the recommended package "survival" has
a(nother?) class "date" and that package is based on S(plus) code
and may hence not be convertible sensibly ?

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>	http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler/
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO C16	Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)	8092 Zurich	SWITZERLAND
phone: x-41-1-632-3408		fax: ...-1228			<><