[R] How to convert a Rd file into multi html files?

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Tue Sep 9 16:12:55 CEST 2003

The R packaging programs expect one .Rd file for each function, all in
the man directory. Installing the package converts each .Rd file into an
html file as well as other documentation formats.

There was once some discussion of allowing multiple functions to be
documented in a single file, but I believe that has never been done.
Maintaining a number of packages I find it somewhat inconvenient to deal
with the very large number of source files this system implies, so I
have another directory I call mansrc, which does not get included in
packages. This directory has one file I call  whatever.help, where
"whatever"  corresponds to  a code file R/whatever.R that contains code
for multiple functions. I then process this through a perl script to
produce man/*.Rd files that are included in packages.  I would be happy
to supply the perl script, but it sounds like you have already written
your own. I doubt that my system is worth the extra complexity unless
you are documenting a large number of functions.

Paul Gilbert