[R] gnome gui question

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Sep 5 12:18:00 CEST 2003

    Anne> I have compiled R 1.7.1 with gnome and installed the
    Anne> gtkDevice on a Linux RH 8 system. This is my first use
    Anne> of this device and I have two questions about it.

    Anne> 1.  After running R --rui="gnome", the console comes
    Anne> up. To open a graphics window, I open the gtkDevice
    Anne> library [library(gtkDevice)], then start a gtk device
          ~~~~~~~
it's called a "package" .. (sorry to be a pain..)

    Anne> [gtk()]. After the library command, I receive the
    Anne> message from R that the gtk function is masked from
    Anne> package:base. Did I do something incorrect in my
    Anne> installation to receive this message? The gtk device
    Anne> does open and appears to work, so maybe this is a
    Anne> "play on".

yes. I'm not aware of the exact plans, but the gtk() from the
gtkDevice package should become *the* version.

    Anne> 2. In the "settings --> preferences" menu section, I
    Anne> am able to change the look (fonts and colors) for the
    Anne> console and pager. However, the corresponding section
    Anne> for the graphics window has no visible options. Is
    Anne> this normal?

yes,  help(gtk) tells you that's it's just another version of x11().
What you might be really interested is the "RGtk" package
http://www.omegahat.org/RGtk/ from Omegahat,
and its tools ("widgets").
Maybe the first screen shot link in
   http://www.omegahat.org/RGtk/ScreenShots/devices.html
can wet your appetite and make you encouraging the RGtk & gtkDevice
authors to expand their work ... ;-)

Regards, Martin