[R] gnome gui question

Anne York york at zipcon.net
Thu Sep 4 19:41:25 CEST 2003

I have compiled R 1.7.1 with gnome and installed the gtkDevice on a Linux
RH 8 system. This is my first use of this device and I have two
questions about it.

1.  After running R --rui="gnome", the console comes up. To open a
graphics window, I open the gtkDevice library [library(gtkDevice)], then
start a gtk device [gtk()]. After the library command, I receive the
message from R that the gtk function is masked from package:base. Did I do
something incorrect in my installation to receive this message? The
gtk device does open and appears to work, so maybe this is a "play on".

2. In the "settings --> preferences"  menu section, I am able to change
the look (fonts and colors) for the console and pager. However, the
corresponding section for the graphics window has no visible options. Is
this normal?

Thank-you.

Anne