[R] Complete Newbie Q

Ko-Kang Kevin Wang kwan022 at stat.auckland.ac.nz
Sun Oct 26 22:50:17 CET 2003

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Tom Hopper wrote:

> My question is this: is there a quick-start guide or introductory
> tutorial for someone with my background? While there seems to be quite
> a lot of documentation on R, it all seems directed at people with a
> different background. It's too basic, or too advanced, but doesn't
> address someone reasonably familiar with statistics who just needs to
> change his work habits.

Not knowing your exact background, it is difficult to suggest one.  I'd
say that An Introduction to R manual from CRAN is a good start.
Alternatively, Venables and Ripley's Modern Applied Statistics with S is
an excellent source -- perhaps the best in the field.  Peter Dalgaard's
Introductory Statistics with R may also be a good choice.

At the moment, Steven Miller and I are planning on co-authoring a book on
using R, targetted at experience statisticians who have little or no
experience with R.  The current ideas are at
http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~kwan022/pub/R/RBook/ .  We are planning on
finishing it by Feb/March 2004 -- which may be too late for you.  Once it
is finished we will submit it to CRAN.

--
Cheers,

Kevin