[R] adjacency matrix

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Oct 22 15:13:51 CEST 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Orlando Zacarias wrote:

> Dear R experts,
> I am new to the list and R software. I need to convert arcview file to Winbugs having R has middle package. Got from friends that it is possible following the steps:
> 1. Converting arcview shapefile to "cgm clear text file"
> 2. Downloading "convert.r" to into R
>     2.1 use source("convert.r")
>      2.2 convert("filename_cgm") without the extension.
> But that doesn't work, given the following errors:
> ----------------------------
> R : Copyright 2003, The R Development Core Team
> Version 1.8.0  (2003-10-08)
> R is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
> Type 'license()' or 'licence()' for distribution details.
> R is a collaborative project with many contributors.
> Type 'contributors()' for more information.
> Type 'demo()' for some demos, 'help()' for on-line help, or
> 'help.start()' for a HTML browser interface to help.
> Type 'q()' to quit R.
> [Previously saved workspace restored]
> > source("convert.r")
> > convert("transf")
> Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
> In addition: Warning message:
> cannot open file `transf.cgm'
> >
> -----------------------------------

This is quite a "narrow" question based on other people knowing that you
are refering to:

http://www.biostat.umn.edu/~yuecui/

and the file you have downloaded from there.

The most typical cause of files not being found is when you are not in the
correct working directory. Use:

> getwd()

to access the directory name, and

> list.files()

to see if the name of your *.cgm file is returned. The key comment in the
web page you must have used is:

"Open Splus or R under the folder in which convert.s  is saved"

but even if you start in another folder, you can change the R working
directory using

> setwd("where_I_want_to_be")

or from the File menu.