[R] presentation of spatial-temporal point processes

Barry Rowlingson B.Rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Oct 20 17:32:27 CEST 2003

(Ted Harding) wrote:

> Perhaps you need a "movie"? You can use different colours to show the
> progression of values at the spatial points as well.

Something I've used in the past to visualise space-time datasets is
Xgobi (or Ggobi). Feed it a dataframe of x, y, t, numbers then set up
two plots:

  * an x-y plot - the "map"
  * an x-t or y-t plot - it doesn't matter as long as 't' is on one axis.

  Now make a long, thin brush so that when placed on the x-t plot it
highlights a small amount of t-space but all the x-space. This will then
select all the points in a small time-space.

  With linked plots, you can either set transient highlighting and see
points come-and-go in the map as you drag the brush on the time-plot, or
persistent highlighting and then start at t=0 and drag up to t=tmax,
showing the birth of points in time building up the final pattern.

Baz

[pingping: I'll install this on your machine and give you a demo if you
want]