[R] presentation of spatial-temporal point processes

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Mon Oct 20 17:09:56 CEST 2003

On 20-Oct-03 Pingping Zheng wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Would anybody tell me how to present spatial-temoral point processes in
> R, for example, I'd like to plot the spatial points in the sequence of
> their time domain?

Perhaps you need a "movie"? You can use different colours to show the
progression of values at the spatial points as well.

This should be possible without cruel and unusual effort using a 'for'
loop and 'plot' with axes pre-set. The main thing you need to tune
is the delay between frames, so that you create the desired impression.

(I've done this sort of thing, once on a CP/M machine to display the
progress of Johs. Schmidt's Atlantic eel investigations, once using
matlab on DOS to show earthquake patterns, with magnitudes, evolving
over time).

By the way, Postscript being a nice programming language, it is
possible to create a "movie" in a single PS file. The only thing I've
not found built-in to PS is a 'delay' or 'sleep' function.

In PDF, if you are able to include PDFmarks, you can be even fancier,
since there is a PDFmark which causes successive images to merge
smoothly into each other.

The ImageMagick suite of programs includes 'animate' which allows you
to display a "movie" based on a sequence of separate image files.

You might consider have each succesive image also containing "ghosts"
(with succesively increasing ghostliness) of the last few, say 2 or 3,
images.

Best wishes,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972