[R] RWinEdt patch

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Fri Oct 10 09:19:03 CEST 2003

Asking the RWinEdt maintainer directly seems to be more appropriate than
asking on R-help.

There is no patch for the package RWinEdt available. Just the release
1.5-0 of that package.

Arnab mukherji wrote:

> Hi:
>
>  I just tried to install the patch for RWinEdt - there is an automated package ('SWinRegistry' ) which with the rwinedt patch on the CRAN site have to be loaded as packages from R using the local zip drive option.
>
> That works fine. The next step is to call the library(RwinEdt) and this does'nt work out ... the meesages i get are:
>

>>install.packages(choose.files('',filters=Filters[c('zip','All'),]), .libPaths()[1], CRAN = NULL)
>

> updating HTML package descriptions
>

>>install.packages(choose.files('',filters=Filters[c('zip','All'),]), .libPaths()[1], CRAN = NULL)
>

> updating HTML package descriptions
>

>>install.packages(choose.files('',filters=Filters[c('zip','All'),]), .libPaths()[1], CRAN = NULL)
>

> updating HTML package descriptions
>

>>library(RWinEdt)
>
> Error in testRversion(descfile) : This package has not been installed properly
>  See the Note in ?library
> In addition: Warning message:
> package RWinEdt was built under R version 1.7.1
>
> I am using windows office 2000 and R ver 1.7 and hence the final error message. I have tried it out on ver 1.7.1 too and i Get the same error.
>
> Was wondering if anyone else encountered this problem

Yes. The problem probably is that the package SWinRegistry has not been
installed properly.

Unfortunately, the source version is called
http://www.omegahat.org/SWinRegistry/SWinRegistry_0.3-2.zip
(Attention: .zip instead of the usual .tar.gz) and the binary version
http://www.omegahat.org/SWinRegistry/SWinRegistry_0.3-2_binary.zip
This name is not valid for R's mechanism for installing packages and has
to be renamed before installation, or unzip it manually.
I hope these filenames will be changed shortly.

So, for example do:
  - download the binary version
  - rename it to, e.g., SWinRegistry_0.3-2.zip (without the second "_")
  - Now, use the menu to install the package.

Duncan Temple Lang promised to change the names of source/binary
packages according to the CRAN conventions, but he seems to be too busy
these days. I'll update R-WinEdt's installation instructions with a new
release in a couple of days.

Uwe Ligges