[R] tcltk extension: documentation?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Nov 28 16:31:20 CET 2003

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 09:25:40AM -0600, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> Luca,
>
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 10:32:47AM +0100, Luca Paglieri wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > 	i'm searching for a tutorial on the tcltk extension to R. I've
> > looked at the pages linked to the R web site, and found the examples
> > extremely useful, but I'd like something more.
> > Does anyone know about other documents regarding this subject?
>
> Couple of points:
>
> i)   There are two R News articles you should read.  Not all of their examples
>      work "as is", but it will give a rather nice introduction that should help
>      you understand the framework. The second article also explained what
>      changed in the R / tcltk interaction, and why.

PS 1:  Sorry, I meant not all examples from the first article work as is.
       IIRC they will for the second one.

> ii)  Read and try to modify the examples and the demos in the tcltk package
>      itself.
>
> iii) Look at James Wettenhall's excellent 'cookbook' website at
>      http://bioinf.wehi.edu.au/~wettenhall/RTclTkExamples/
>
> iv)  Read / search the mailing list archives. Various people have posted
>      snippets in response to questions.

PS 2:  I forgot to mention the r-sig-gui mailing list which cover tcltk often.

> v)   Look at some of the other 'public' code using tcltk. By the far the most
>      extensive example is Rcmd by John Fox.

PS 3:  Sorry -- that should be Rcmdr.

> vi)  Lastly, use some other *tk documentation.  I find the 2nd edition of the
>      Perl/Tk book by O'Reilly quite helpful for an overview of what is
>      available, as well as short examples.
>
> Hope this helps,  Dirk

Dirk

--
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx