[R] tcltk extension: documentation?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Nov 28 16:25:40 CET 2003

Luca,

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 10:32:47AM +0100, Luca Paglieri wrote:
> Hi all,
> 	i'm searching for a tutorial on the tcltk extension to R. I've
> looked at the pages linked to the R web site, and found the examples
> extremely useful, but I'd like something more.
> Does anyone know about other documents regarding this subject?

Couple of points:

i)   There are two R News articles you should read.  Not all of their examples
     work "as is", but it will give a rather nice introduction that should help
     you understand the framework. The second article also explained what
     changed in the R / tcltk interaction, and why.

ii)  Read and try to modify the examples and the demos in the tcltk package
     itself.

iii) Look at James Wettenhall's excellent 'cookbook' website at
     http://bioinf.wehi.edu.au/~wettenhall/RTclTkExamples/

iv)  Read / search the mailing list archives. Various people have posted
     snippets in response to questions.

v)   Look at some of the other 'public' code using tcltk. By the far the most
     extensive example is Rcmd by John Fox.

vi)  Lastly, use some other *tk documentation.  I find the 2nd edition of the
     Perl/Tk book by O'Reilly quite helpful for an overview of what is
     available, as well as short examples.

Hope this helps,  Dirk

--
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx