[R] best editor for .R files

Arne Henningsen ahenningsen at agric-econ.uni-kiel.de
Tue Nov 25 16:57:04 CET 2003

Hi Angel and * !

I also use kate and in my opinion it is very convenient. I don't know which
features you don't like, but if you mean some syntax highlighting "features",
you might try my R syntax highlighting (XML) file for kate. It is based on
Egon Willighagen's one and contains a few bug fixes and several extensions.
You can download it from my homepage (http://www.uni-kiel.de/agrarpol/
ahenningsen/, the link is at the bottom of the page).
This new file is NOT thoroughly tested so far. After testing it for some time,
I will send it to CRAN and to kate.kde.org as an update of Egon's file, since
Egon stopped maintaining it.

Best wishes,
Arne

On Thursday 20 November 2003 22:27, Angel wrote:
> Which is the best editor for .R files?
>
> I currently use kate on my linux as it has R highlighting and allows me to
> split the window into two: in one I edit the .R file and in the other I
> have a shell so I run R and can easily  copy and paste the code. There are
> some features that I don't like and I am having a look on some
> alternatives. I've heard wonders of emacs with ess but I am a little bit
> frightened of the steep learning curve.
>
> What do the R experts use or would recommend using?
> Both linux and/or windows alternatives are welcomed.
> I guess it would much depend on the particular needs/preferences of each
> user but I would like to know which are the most commonly used editors.
> Thanks,
> Angel

Arne Henningsen
Department of Agricultural Economics