[R] readline problem under src-compiled R 1.8.x under Mandrake 9.2

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Sun Nov 23 18:04:39 CET 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 10:48, ivo welch wrote:
> thanks, marc+brian.  it was indeed not installed.  i was under the mistaken
> impression that readline was just a linkto library.  the compile now works great.
>
> suggestion:  if libreadline is installed and libreadline-devel is not
> installed, please print a warning/suggestion message during the ./configure.
> (i wonder whether there are other similar libraries for which I should have
> installed the devel version, too.)
>
> I did search R documentation for "readline" failures via google for a while,
> but failed to find this particular reference.  Yep, I did not fully read the
> docs from start to end again (its been a while), so mea culpa.  still, adding
> the warning at ./configure time is a good idea.  apologies for taking
> everyone's time.  and thanks for the help.  now I will try to research how to
> build a binary for md 9.2 for others (to make up!)
>
> regards,
>
> /iaw

Actually, there is a message in the output of ./configure:

R is now configured for i686-pc-linux-gnu

  Source directory:          .
  Installation directory:    /usr/local

  C compiler:                gcc -D__NO_MATH_INLINES -mieee-fp -g -O2
  C++ compiler:              g++ -mieee-fp -g -O2
  Fortran compiler:          g77 -mieee-fp -g -O2

  Interfaces supported:      X11, tcltk
  External libraries:        readline, BLAS(generic)
  Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG, bzip2, PCRE
  Options enabled:           R profiling

  Recommended packages:      yes

Note that in the above, the line "External libraries" indicates what
will be supported, which in my case, shows readline.

In addition, you can use capabilities() once in the R console to see
what has been included:

> capabilities()
    jpeg      png    tcltk      X11    GNOME     libz http/ftp  sockets
    TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE    FALSE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
  libxml     fifo   cledit  IEEE754    bzip2     PCRE
    TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE

In the above case, 'cledit' shows TRUE, which is the indication that
command line editing is supported.

On your final thought, you might want to review the following:

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/mandrake/Mandrake-Readme.txt

HTH,

Marc Schwartz