SOLVED: Re: [R] help output paged in separate window

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue May 27 13:54:25 CEST 2003

(Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk> writes:

> Thanks! I like this even better than my previous solution, since it is
> completely clean (and as a bonus it has taught me more about R)! I've put
> the above code into my ~/.Rprofile (also adding the line "rm(.xthelp)" at
> the end) on the assumption that I'm going to need this once and for all
> throughout a session, but of course people may want to keep their options
> open.

Actually, none of this would be necessary if there was a workaround
for the misbehaviour of "more" when stdin is redirected. (It happily
gobbles up the rest of the input file...). If we could only use
standard %s substitution on the $PAGER variable, much would be easier.

There would seem to be some scope for doing things differently from
what we do now, so if anyone wants to volunteer...