[R] predicting fuzzy cluster membership

Luis Torgo ltorgo at liacc.up.pt
Sat May 24 18:48:57 CEST 2003

Dear all,
I'm trying to obtain a fuzzy clustering with fanny from the cluster package,
using a given set of data. That worked just fine.
I have another separate sample of data from the same problem. For each case in
this new sample I would like to know their membership coefficients with
respect to the clustering obtained with the first dataset. In effect I want
to have a kind of prediction of the probability that each case in the new set
belongs to each of the clusters formed with the first set of data. I do not
want to add the second ssample to the first and build a new clustering
because that would change the initial clustering.

I've looked in the help pages of the cluster package for some similar example
with no success. I've also searched the R mailing list but didn't find any
related question.

Is there any easy way of obtaining this matrix of cluster membership values
for the new set of data?

Thank you in advance,
Luis

> R.version
         _
platform i686-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i686
os       linux-gnu
system   i686, linux-gnu
status
major    1
minor    6.1
year     2002
month    11
day      01
language R

--
Luis Torgo
    FEP/LIACC, University of Porto   Phone : (+351) 22 607 88 30
    R. Campo Alegre, 823             email : ltorgo at liacc.up.pt
    4150 PORTO   -  PORTUGAL         WWW   : http://www.liacc.up.pt/~ltorgo