[R] Re: [Rd] R-1.7.0 beta available

Martyn Plummer plummer at iarc.fr
Thu Mar 27 18:17:28 CET 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 15:26, Marc Schwartz wrote:
> Prof Brian D Ripley wrote:

> >>OK...I must have missed that post. Apologies.
> >

> > It was to R-core, so there was no way for you to know.
> >

> >>I will be downloading the RH 9 ISO's early as a paid RHN subscriber, so
> >>if there is anything that I can do to help Martyn in validating or
> >>confirming any issues, let me know. I have cc'd Martyn on this post.
> >

> > Thanks for the offer: I am sure Martyn will appreciate it.  Meanwhile I am
> > replacing a RH7.2 machine with an RH8.0 one.
> >
> > Brian
> >

> Prof. Ripley,
>
> Thanks for the clarification.
>
> FWIW, RH 8.0 has been very stable on my Dell i8200 laptop, upon which I
> run RH 8.0 dual-booted using GRUB with WinXP Pro.
>
> It will be interesting to see the improvements in RH 9, especially any
> performance enhancements and X related updates including, as I
> understand, better AA font support, which will be helpful on the UXGA
> LCD panel.
>
> Martyn, let me know if I can be of help.

Many thanks for your help Marc. You just have to run "make check" on the
latest beta on RH 9.0 and let us know what happens. A clean install,
rather than an upgrade is the best testing environment since an upgrade
may leave RPMS from previous installations lying around, but you are not
obliged to do this.  I don't expect any problems this time since the
major change relates to threading and, as Brian has already pointed out,
R doesn't use threads.

By the way, I shall continue to provide R RPMS for RH 7.x for those
people who follow the rule of never upgrading to an x.0 release.

Martyn