[R] The best way to end up with WMF files

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Thu Mar 20 01:29:15 CET 2003

Peter Dunn <dunn at usq.edu.au> writes:

> I am doing some stats work for a group of biologists
> who require windows metafiles (*.wmf) for their publications.
> To create these, I appear to have two choices:
>
> 1.  Restart my machine in Windows and use  savePlot
> 2.  Keep my machine in linux, save as another format,
>     then convert.
>
> I'd rather stay in linux; but how do I get wmf files?  I looked
> at using ImageMagick's  convert, but it appears only to *read*
> wmf files and not write them according to the help (not that
> I could get it to read them when I tried... but that's another
> story).
>
> And if I do create another format first and eventually end up with
> a wmf, what is the best way to get there without loosing quality
> on the way through the conversion(s)?
>
> So my question is this:  How can I end up with a wmf files using
> linux, without sacrificing too much (any?) quality on the way?
>
> I looked in the Mail archives and couldn't find anything useful.

It is not clear that you can.  At least as of 9 months ago, there were
no decent *2wmf converters (decent = vector results, rather than crude
bitmaps).

Best of luck, and if you find a good (non-bitmapped graphics)
solution, let us know!

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini				Rsrch. Asst. Prof. of Biostatistics
U. of Washington Biostatistics		rossini at u.washington.edu
FHCRC/SCHARP/HIV Vaccine Trials Net	rossini at scharp.org
-------------- http://software.biostat.washington.edu/ --------------------
FHCRC:Tu: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email
UW:   Th: 206-543-1044 (fax=3286)|Change last 4 digits of phone to FAX
(CHANGE: monday/wednesday/friday locations are completely unpredictable.)