[R] network connection

David Brahm brahm at alum.mit.edu
Wed Mar 19 16:11:02 CET 2003

Wei Ding <wei.ding at spcorp.com> wrote:
> How can I configure R to allow http connection (through company firewall)?

Repeating my R-help message of 2/18/03, for R-1.6.2 under Solaris 2.6:

1) In my .Rprofile:  options(download.file.method="wget")
   (The default method "internal" does not seem to work for me.)

2) In my .cshrc:     setenv http_proxy <some.proxy.server>:8000

3) <some.proxy.server> is NOT the name I find in my web browser!  The web
   browser knows the machine that serves "Proxy Auto-Configuration" files, but
   I needed to get the name of an actual proxy server from our local guru.
--
                              -- David Brahm (brahm at alum.mit.edu)