[R] [OT] Appropriate test?

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 13 07:14:49 CET 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Spencer Graves wrote:

> If you want to use nlme, am I correct is asserting that the best
> reference is
>
> Pinhiero and Bates (2000) Mixed Effects Models in S and S-Plus (NY:
> Springer) ?

Yes.

There are several other ways to do this though, and I don't think I would
start with nlme.  The book by Diggle, Liang and Zeger is better at
showing the range of possibilities.  Note that you are rather short on
subjects: with 8 measures on only 8 subjects (in the smaller group)
it is going to be hard to generalize to a population.  So your best hope
is if the pattern of responses is simple (e.g. linear).

The `classical' approach is that you have an 8-way response for each
subject, in which case you can use MANOVA (see ?summary.manova in R) to
test the difference between groups.

Probably the most fruitful appoach is to plot all 20 responses against
time (by a lattice plot?) and then see if a simple model will summarize
all the curves.  You could then use (n)lme, but for the purposes of
testing the difference between the groups I would start by fitting the
model to each subject, and use the parameter(s) of each model as input to
MANOVA (or a multivariate T test).  The real advantage of (n)lme would
come if you have different measurement times for each subject: there are
examples of repeated measures studies of that form in MASS4 (Venables &
Ripley, 2002, see the R FAQ).

You could use aov() with an Error term.

You could use GEE.

Jim Lindsey's packages had various functions for repeated measures last
time I looked.