[R] ESS+R not closing gracefully

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Mar 2 23:26:02 CET 2003

Dear Tony and Damon,

I, too, have seen this problem (and other similar problems) occasionally. I
don't really understand the source of the problem, but I think that it
involves synchronization issues, and I find that inserting delays between
operations seems to help. Take a look, for example, at the configuration
files I've posted at
<http://www.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Books/Companion/ESS/>, in particular
the menu items for exiting. Finally, I find that problems are less common
with Windows 2000 than with Windows 9x, but I gather this isn't your
experience.

I hope that this helps,
  John

At 10:49 AM 3/2/2003 -0800, A.J. Rossini wrote:
>Damon Wischik <djw1005 at cam.ac.uk> writes:
>

> > I am having trouble with ESS+R. I don't know if it is an ESS
> > problem or an R problem, so I'm posting to this mailing list in
> > the first instance.
>
>Actually, it might be an Emacs problem -- or an R problem.  The fact
>that R/ESS works under windows is simply amazing.
>
>Unfortunately, while I've seen it, I'm not sure how to solve it; it
>isn't your configuration.

John Fox
Department of Sociology
McMaster University