[R] Dismal R performance of Athlon moble CPU?

M. Edward Borasky znmeb at aracnet.com
Thu Jul 24 05:21:17 CEST 2003

I haven't gotten around to assembling the toolset required to build R on
Windows, since most of what I do is smallish interactive problems. However,
another possibility would be to load CygWin/XFree86 on your laptop (which
I've done), then download Atlas 3.5.7 from SourceForge (which I've done),
then build Atlas with CygWin(which I've done) and then build a second
version of R under CygWin using Atlas, and use the CygWin/Atlas R for the
heavy number-crunching jobs. This last I haven't done, so I can't say
whether there are any gotchas, but everything else I've done with
CygWin/XFree86 has worked. My laptop is a Compaq Presario with a 1.67 GHz
Athlon XP. Atlas screams on it; the Atlas folks were grinning when I sent
them the log. Atlas has an assembly language kernel for Athlons (and P4s as
well IIRC).

Oh, yeah ... If you do try my scheme, make sure you don't have spaces in the
paths ... Atlas still isn't immune to that sort of thing under CygWin.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
mailto:znmeb at borasky-research.net
http://www.borasky-research.net

"Suppose that tonight, while you sleep, a miracle happens - you wake up
tomorrow with what you have longed for! How will you discover that a miracle
happened? How will your loved ones? What will be different? What will you
notice? What do you need to explode into tomorrow with grace, power, love,
passion and confidence?" -- L. Michael Hall, PhD