[R] Minor nuisance with rw1071

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Jul 18 02:42:27 CEST 2003

Dear Kjetil , Roger,and Brian,

I'm not sure that this will shed any light on Kjetil's problems, but the
startup for Rcmdr is

.onAttach <- function(...){
     cat("\nRcmdr Version 0.9-0\n")
     Commander()
     }

.onLoad <- function(...){
     save.options <- options(warn=-1)
     on.exit(options(save.options))
     foreign <- require(foreign)
     mva <- require(mva)
     ctest <- require(ctest)
     tcltk <- require(tcltk)
     car <- require(car)
     absent <- !c(foreign, mva, ctest, tcltk, car)
     if (any(absent)) {
         cat("\nThe following packages required by Rcmdr are missing:\n")
         cat(paste(c("foreign", "mva", "ctest", "tcltk", "car")[absent],
collapse=", "))
         cat("\n")
         }
     }

In a vanilla installation, mva and ctest are among the default packages, so
what one should normally see on loading Rcmdr is

 > library(Rcmdr)

Rcmdr Version 0.9-0

Another, possibly relevant, piece of information: .logFont is a Tcl
variable containing a font definition:

 > .logFont
<Tcl> font1

If trying to print this variable causes Rgui to bomb, then perhaps
something is wrong with either the installation of the tcltk package or of
Tcl/Tk itself.

I'm aware as well that Kjetil has been unable to get Rcmdr to work
properly, for reasons that I've been unable to discover. By the way, Rcmdr
requires the SDI.

I hope that this is useful.
  John