[R] Subsetting a matrix

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Mon Jul 14 12:38:38 CEST 2003

On 14-Jul-03 Adelchi Azzalini wrote:
> Personally, I find this automatic conversion to "vector" a somewhat
> confusing feature (although I can see its reasons),  and I know of
> many people that would  have preferred  that drop=FALSE was the
> default  behaviour, but surely now  is difficult to change it.

Thanks for pointing out "drop=FALSE", which I had overlooked!

Maybe it is reasonable to propose incorporating "drop" as one of the
things you can set with "options"? :--

     `options' allows the user to set and examine a variety of global
     ``options'' which affect the way in which R computes and displays
     its results.

Affecting the way in which R computes Z[c(T,F,F),c(F,T,T)] is just what
I would like to be able to do!

With thanks,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972