[R] problems when compiling package 'norm'

Jari Oksanen jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi
Tue Jan 21 10:01:07 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 10:26, ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk wrote:

> Also, you are using gcc `2.96' and that is known to be broken in various
> ways, notably with g77.

I don't want to defend Red Hat's unfortunate choice of their own gcc
("2.96") -- and it is even more surprising that other Linux distributors
have followed their design. However, my experience is that g77-2.96 was
the first more or less working Fortran compiler in Linux. The previous
ones simply gave segfaults in R libraries or even crashed R when loading
a library. Well, I don't use gcc 2.96, so this is an academic defence
now...

cheers, jari oksanen