[R] kriging in R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Jan 17 09:22:03 CET 2003

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Yan Yu wrote:

> Hi, all,
>    Have anyone used kringing included in R?  How is it?
> Does it handle anisotropy data well?
> How does it compare with Kriging in Arc/Info? or other geostatistics
> software customized to do kriging or other geostatistics functions?

Maybe help.search(), or the search item at the R-project website? The
following packages (among others) include kriging in some form or other.
The spatial package in the VR bundle is installed by default. The sgeostat
package is interpreted. Both of fields and geoR are compiled - so there's
no lack of choice!

Comparison with recent Arc/Info is more difficult, the work being done
there by Konstantin Krivoruchko and others is impressive. Maybe try
several R packages and AI on the same real data to get a feel for how they
perform in relation to your needs? The resources on
http://www.ai-geostats.org/ may also help.

> I tried Easykriging, a geostatistics tool developed for Matlab. It has
> very nice GUI, but it does not provide library which i can call in my programs.
> so it is good for doing it mannually for small number of data set. but if
> i have large number of data set, and i want to automate the kriging
> process for those data set, Does anyone have good recommendation on what
> software to use?  something that can be called in c/c++ code(or matlab)
> and freeware:) is preferred..

Roger

--
Roger Bivand