[R] Exception Handling

Pikounis, Bill v_bill_pikounis at merck.com
Wed Jan 15 16:54:05 CET 2003

Zhongming,

> R Users:
>
> How can I catch R errors and depend on this error call other R
> functions in Perl?

I am working on similar issues, perhaps. The simple CGI-type approach I am
exploring just involves having Perl check for such a string, such as
"Execution Halted" or the one you saw. Then you can decide what to do with
Perl for reporting the error.  For a more general solution, it may be that
you add a simple cat() string that says your R function/program succeeded
and then have Perl check for that. (I presume you are using Perl's system()
to make the call from Perl to R.)

To get more information from R about the exception/error in your program,
see various related functions, such as options("show.error.messages"),
geterrmessage(), try(), traceback(), etc.  There is a lot of flexibility in
both R and Perl to customize things as specific-to-general as you want them.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Bill

Bill Pikounis, Ph.D.