[R] Pretty onscreen plots?

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Wed Feb 19 03:42:03 CET 2003

Falcon, Seth wrote:
> I'm looking for ideas for creating high-quality plots for use in projected
> presentations (powerpoint, etc) --- ideally high-quality png, jpg, bmp.
>
> The graphics produced using the postscript device look very good.  Those
> generated with win.graph(), png are plagued by the jaggy lines.
>
> So far, the only way I can use the postscript plots in my presentations is
> using separate screen capture software.  Can someone suggest a better way?
>
> Thanks,
>
> + seth

If you are using R under Windows, the best way to get an R graphic into
PowerPoint (at least one of them) is to simply right click over the plot
window and copy the graphic to the clipboard as a metafile.

Then in PowerPoint, use the "large object" slide type. Click on the
object frame in the slide and simply paste the graphic (CTRL-V) from the
clipboard into the slide.

Using the metafile format will enable you to maintain a high quality
image that is also re-sizable (ie. dragging the object frame on the slide).

The bitmapped graphic formats do not re-size will and will distort.

Hope that helps,

Marc Schwartz