[R] My remark on libraries

Ben Bolker ben at zoo.ufl.edu
Fri Feb 7 14:57:03 CET 2003

  This comes up from time to time; at the moment I can't find the thread
in the mailing list archives.  The advantage, obviously, would be to make
all this accumulated code available to the R community.  The disadvantage
would be that such a heap of code would be highly heterogeneous -- some
stuff would work, some wouldn't, some would work originally but obsolesce
-- and the good stuff would get lost anyway.  On the other hand, you're
right that it would be hard to find the functions one wanted in a set of
"miscmisc" packages (but would it be any harder than finding it in a
random heap of contributed code?)
  I guess I don't have a good answer; I would encourage you to bundle your
stuff up into a little library, even if you don't think it's enough. (I am
equally guilty of laziness: I've written a variety of packages for
landscape generation, genetic stock analysis, 3D graphics, maximum
likelihood ... but while I have put them up on my own web page at
http://www.zoo.ufl.edu/bolker/R, I've never submitted them to CRAN for
most of the reasons you cite.)

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/R/statsRus.html
is a good collection of (tiny) bits and pieces, but it depends on a single
person for updating (and for keeping it coherent ...)

  Ben Bolker