[R] mailing list for basic questions - preliminary sum up

Peter Flom flom at ndri.org
Wed Dec 17 14:16:06 CET 2003

After thinking this over, I think it's a good idea to have the beginner
list (and I have subscribed).

While I greatly appreciate this list, and the tremendous amount of help
I've gotten from it, the style of this list is, usually, to give fairly
short replies (e.g. "try ?function")  This is fine.  Different lists
have different styles, and people here are, after all, donating their
time and expertise.

But I think that, on the beginner list, there should be a different
style.  I think answers should be lengthier, and more discursive.  A
beginner who gets a reply like "try searching help" is likely to be put
off.  As a relative newbie myself (and one who has to work in SAS as
well as R) I still find myself having 'translation diffiuculties'.

What do others think?  Has anyone else subscribed to the beginner list
yet?

Peter

Peter L. Flom, PhD
Assistant Director, Statistics and Data Analysis Core
Center for Drug Use and HIV Research
National Development and Research Institutes
71 W. 23rd St
www.peterflom.com
New York, NY 10010
(212) 845-4485 (voice)
(917) 438-0894 (fax)

Hello,

I agree completely that well thought out questions are important to
receive
good and quick replies and I agree as well that the replies on the
R-help
list are very good and helpful.
But I had to learn and I am still learing how to write good questions
and
appreciate Spencer's explanantion how a good question should look like
in his
opinion.

I am not sure how this new mailing list might evolve.
It might be that the R-beginner list takes some load of the R-help list
by
reducing the amount of "basic" questions which won't be questioned
anymore
here (what aren't many) and that new user might be taught to post
"good"
question before they start posting to R-help.
If it proves to be ineffective or might affect R-help in some unwanted
manner
it would be an easy one to shut it down.

I doubt that it will split the R-help list - in my opinion it is
unlikely that
medium/experienced R user who will subscribe to R-beginner will
unsubscribe
from the R-help list.
Moreover people starting with R are less likely to send any mails to
this
list, some do and are refered in most cases to the manuals.
When I started R I looked through the archive and because I did not
understand
even one question, I was intimidated by this list and did not send any
mail
until a few weeks later (that was not because of the statistics but the

commands)
For this kind of people the R-beginner list is thought - to encourage
them to
send "stupid" questions during their first steps in R.

They shall recognize questions they would have asked themselves.
Therefore I think that the quality of the question is in this case less

important than it's level.

I hope I did not misunderstood some points ,-)

best regards Martin