[R] Help with this topic

Thomas W Blackwell tblackw at umich.edu
Tue Dec 2 04:01:40 CET 2003

Stephen  -

If the four columns shown below are in this order in a data
frame named 'data', then use

covariances <- by(data[ ,-1], data$Class, cov)

to get the covariance matrices within each of the four classes.
Alternative functions would be  tapply()  or  aggregate(), but
the syntax for  by()  is easiest to understand.

-  tom blackwell  -  u michigan medical school  -  ann arbor  -