[R] Problem and Question regarding R

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Sun Aug 31 21:09:37 CEST 2003

It is a slow day, and those who really know the answers may not
be around.  So here goes.

On 08/31/03 20:43, Bernhard Bals wrote:
>Hi,
># rpm -i R-base-1.7.1-1.i386.rpm
>error: failed dependencies:
>         libg2c.so.0 is needed by R-base-1.7.1-1
>
>There seems to be only one dependency missing (hope that's all). Since
>I've installed the Professional Edition with all the compilers and
>libraries, it's maybe only a naming problem.
>
>What's behind this missing library?

On my Red Hat System (noodle), I get:

baron at noodle /usr/lib > "ls" -l libg2c*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Apr  8 13:57
libg2c.so.0 -> libg2c.so.0.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       109976 Feb 25  2003
libg2c.so.0.0.0

In other words, it is linked to libg2c.so.0.0.0.  Also, where
does it come from?

baron at noodle /usr/lib > rpm -q --whatprovides libg2c.so.0
libf2c-3.2.2-5

baron at noodle /usr/lib > rpm -ql libf2c
/usr/lib/libg2c.so.0
/usr/lib/libg2c.so.0.0.0

In sum, it seems you need the rpm called libf2c.

>Do you think I need or should compile and install R myself (not using
>one of the binary distributions)?

I have done this, and I do recommend it if you have a reasonably
fast computer.  But in this particular case, based on
guesstimation from the name of the missing rpm, I bit you would
need it anyway.

Another way to find missing rpms is by typing in the name of the
relevant file in the search section of
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/

>2) Question:
>
>I want to use R not only interactively (issue commands after the prompt
> > ..), but also use some functionality of R from a Perl script.

It is better to ask one question per email.  If this were the
only one, I wouldn't answer.  But I have noticed that Rweb uses
Perl with R: http://www.math.montana.edu/Rweb/

There is also a CGIwithR package that I haven't tried, and I
don't know what it does.
Home page:            http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron
R page:               http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/
deleting "Your details" "Your application" "Approved" "Thank you!"