[R] Replacing underscore character in Windows GUI

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Aug 13 10:08:35 CEST 2003

This is becoming a relevant ESS topic, hence I divert it to the
ESS-help mailing list, please continue there
{archives at https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail/ess-help/ )

    tony> "kjetil brinchmann halvorsen" <kjetil at entelnet.bo> writes:
    >> On 12 Aug 2003 at 17:38, nels.tomlinson.1 wrote:
    >>
    >> I thought one of the reasons for removing the underscore as synonym
    >> to <- was that at some later point it could be reintroduced in the
    >> grammar, for example as a valid part of variable names.
    >>
    >> If this is the case, this suggestion is a bad idea. Better to forget
    >> the habvit of using _ for assignment! Maybe this reemplacement of _
    >> with <- will be removed from ess too?

    tony> Probably.  But there are those of us who don't like "_" for variable
    tony> names.  It reminds me too much of C and Python (though I like the
    tony> latter).

    tony> I'd be happier removing "=" for assignment, as well.  It's a
    tony> monstrosity, though supposedly wiser heads think otherwise.  I know
    tony> the arguments, but I still think it should be removed.

    tony> Maybe we'll make "=" electric -- one press becomes "<-", two presses
    tony> become "==".  Emacs is wonderful, sometimes.

This is an interesting proposal.

===> Continued on the ESS-help mailing list,
     ESS-help at stat.math.ethz.ch