[R] Validation of R

Paul, David A paulda at BATTELLE.ORG
Thu Apr 17 22:18:23 CEST 2003

At Battelle, the QA/QC folks have the philosophy that the
FDA will likely hold us responsible for whatever internal
standards we set for ourselves, assuming that such standards
are "reasonable".

For software, our internal standards basically say that

(1) COTS (Com'l Off The Shelf software) developed by a
company having both a long history of selling high-quality
products and good QA doesn't need extensive from-scratch
validation, only validation of simpler routines like the
computation of means, variances, linear regression models,
&etc.  (After all, how would anyone really validate what,
say, PROC NLMIXED yields in a complex growth-curve application?)

(2) Anything free needs to be extensively validated by
comparing it with something that fits into (1)

This leaves R completely out of our GLP studies, and favors
SAS since Insightful hasn't been around as long as the SAS
Institute.  Like it or not, the perception is that using SAS
won't get you into trouble with the FDA or other regulatory
agencies.

-David Paul